Untitled – 07/392
Goenaga, Juan Luis
San Sebastián, 09/01/1950
Oil on canvas
146 x 113.5 cm
J.L Goenaga (bottom left hand corner)
Last third of the 20th century
Donated by Jorge de Barandiarán in 2007
Part of the generation of artists from Gipuzkoa that made a name for itself in the 1970s, Goenaga began in abstract art, although with reservations, because in his works the presence of nature was essential. They depicted grasslands and tangles of plants, to begin with in an order so rigorous that they might also have been gestural alignments, as in Untitled, and subsequently with a more naturalist flexibility, as if the images had been obtained very close to the hidden weft of the plants, humus and roots, in some mysterious undergrowth. [Javier Viar]
- Guía Artistas Vascos. Bilbao, Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, 2008. pp. 179-180.
- Gida Euskal Artistak. Bilbao, Bilboko Arte Eder Museoa, 2008. p. 179.
- Guide Basque Artists. Bilbao, Bilbao Fine Arts Museum, 2012. pp. 179-180, n° cat. 100a.
- Viar, Javier. Historia del arte vasco : de la Guerra Civil a nuestros días, 1936-2016. Bilbao, Bilboko Arte Ederren Museoa-Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, 2017. pp. 439-440, il.
- Lertxundi Galiana, Mikel. Goenaga. San Sebastián, Nerea, 2018. pp. 46-47, il.