Untitled – 04/19
Ramos Uranga, Gabriel
Bilbao, 04/09/1939-Bilbao, 09/08/1995
Gum tempera and oil on canvas
191 x 250.3 cm
GR( in the center of the lower side); Gabriel Ramos Uranga; (on the reverse), GR (on the reverse)
Last quarter of the 20th century
Donated by the Ramos Edocia family in 2004
A third painting is the product of a different inspiration, being clearly influenced by the artist's increasingly important parallel activity as an engraver. Untitled from 1987 shows a different graphic universe with sinuous, Baroque lines that seem to pay homage to the dynamic descriptions of mural painting and 17th- and 18th-century drawing. The use of tondo or round-arch framings, a relatively frequent move on the artist's part, brings out this classicist complicity. But, furthermore, it is composed in a sort of false triptych, with each of the three spaces apparently delimited by the imprint of some enormous lithographic stones, marking the introduction of the aesthetic techniques of the engraving. [Javier Viar]
- Guía Artistas Vascos. Bilbao, Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, 2008. pp. 156-157.
- Gida Euskal Artistak. Bilbao, Bilboko Arte Eder Museoa, 2008. pp. 156-157.
- Guide Basque Artists. Bilbao, Bilbao Fine Arts Museum, 2012. pp. 156-157, n° cat. 86c.
- Viar, Javier. Historia del arte vasco : de la Guerra Civil a nuestros días, 1936-2016. Bilbao, Bilboko Arte Ederren Museoa-Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, 2017. p. 267, il.
- Viar, Javier. Hijos de la angustia. Bilbao, Muelle de Uribitarte, 2019. p. 103, il.