Goenaga, Juan Luis
San Sebastián, 09/01/1950
Oil on canvas
200 x 200.4 cm
J L Goenaga (bottom right hand corner)
Last quarter of the 20th century
Acquired in 1977
Part of the generation of artists from Gipuzkoa that made a name for itself in the 1970s, Goenaga began in abstract art, although with reservations, because in his works the presence of nature was essential. They depicted grasslands and tangles of plants, to begin with in an order so rigorous that they might also have been gestural alignments, and subsequently with a more naturalist flexibility, as if the images had been obtained very close to the hidden weft of the plants, humus and roots, in some mysterious undergrowth. Roots clearly reveals the complex observation of these plant systems sunkinto earth, sombre but full of mysterious life and rich formal organizations. [Javier Viar]
- Bengoechea, Javier de. Catálogo de arte moderno y contemporáneo del Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao. Bilbao, Banco de Vizcaya, 1980. p. 59. (Con el título Materia).
- Guía Artistas Vascos. Bilbao, Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, 2008. pp. 179-180.
- Gida Euskal Artistak. Bilbao, Bilboko Arte Eder Museoa, 2008. pp. 179-180.
- Guide Basque Artists. Bilbao, Bilbao Fine Arts Museum, 2012. pp. 179-180, n° cat. 100b.
- Después del 68 : arte y prácticas artísticas en el País Vasco, 1968-2018 [Cat. exp.]. Bilbao, Bilboko Arte Ederren Museoa-Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, 2018. pp. 66, 181, 318, il.