Nude – 82/544
Arrue, Ricardo Arrue, Ramiro
Bilbao, 05/11/1889-Caracas, 11/03/1978 Bilbao, 20/05/1892-Saint Jean de Luz, France, 03/04/1971
Enamel on copper
24.3 x 16.1 cm
Arrue (on the reverse)
First third of the 20th century
Contributed by the Provincial Council of Bizkaia in 1926
His enamels, produced on his own or with Ramiro, are one of the most original cycles in Basque decorative arts of the time, on a par with Durrio's jewels and ceramics. Durrio it was who gave him ideas and encouraged him to try his hand at enamelling in Paris in 1914. His themes were varied, ranging from the still life and the nude to Basque scenes, mythological characters and even religious matters.
Through its links with the exuberant nudes of, for example, Sunyer and Arteta, Nude reveals its Noucentisme associations. [Javier Viar]
- Bengoechea, Javier de. Catálogo de arte moderno y contemporáneo del Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao. Bilbao, Banco de Vizcaya, 1980. p. 180. (Con el título Desnudo).
- Mur Pastor, Pilar. La Asociación de Artistas Vascos. Bilbao, Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao ; Caja de Ahoros Vizcaína, 1985. p. 114.
- Guía Artistas Vascos. Bilbao, Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, 2008. pp. 96-97.
- Gida Euskal Artistak. Bilbao, Bilboko Arte Eder Museoa, 2008. p. 96.
- Guide Basque Artists. Bilbao, Bilbao Fine Arts Museum, 2012. pp. 96-97, n° cat. 46b.